Velo Vision: includes JP's Dock Porter story! : )
February 07, 2008
[$10] "VeloVision" is the only full-coverage magazine of indy bike culture out there today. OK, some nice ones come close, and VV doesn't cover racing, and no one is perfect, but VV is darn good!
Details: Dec. 2007; issue #28; condition: new; $10 retail; 64 pages; full color; oversize 9" x 11".
Description: VeloVision emphasizes transport, not sport. It's about citybikes, commuters, family solutions, workbikes---and recreation. Fun bikes. Innovation all the way.
Features: This issue includes my Mackinac Island dock porter "scoop" story with color pics. It also features a review of the new Bike Friday "Tikit" folding bike. The Tikit is a breakthru bike that's readily available in the USA. There's also a lengthy review of the new Moulton "Esprit" modular bike.
Table of Contents:
A camper trailer, new Rohloff rumours, Drymer trike, Greenspeed’s Snowbeast, a Velo Vision trip to SPEZI and more
9 Cycle 2007
We report from the UK cycle show in Earl’s Court, London
12 Pedal porters
Car-free cycling culture on Mackinac Island, Michigan, USA.
15 Bicycling Blind
Riding with Tandem Israel in the desert north of Eilat
16 Recycle by cycle
A Canadian couple with a commercial recycling company – and a big bike trailer
18 Just the Tikit
We review the eagerly-awaited quick folder from Bike Friday, the Tikit.
22 Ride the roughest roads
Testing the Tout-Terrain Panamericana full-suspension touring bike: a bike for the toughest tours
26 The ’cumbent for children
A cycling family review the Altena-Bike Estrellita, a new child-sized recumbent
28 A spirited ride
The Moulton Esprit on the road – does it deliver AM magic at close to TSR price?
32 Short Reviews
- 32 Lights fantastic: three battery-free ideas tested. Reelights, Pedalite and 3M Sekuclips
- 34 No more neckstrap: a better way to carry an SLR camera by bike?
- 35 Over the moon: cycling again with the Moonsaddle
- 36 Pitlock vs Pinhead: we test two security quick-release systems
- 37 Books: Velomania, Crap Cycle Lanes, cycling misadventures, the sociology of cycling and Practical Pedal magazine
40 Readers’ bikes
- 40 Ride the Lightning: a P-38 owner reports
- 43 An inventive velocar: visiting a Swedish pioneer
- 44 Power and posture: could a new position bring benefits?
- 47 Big in front: a new take on front wheel drive
Triple-decker trailers, the Tour de Fat, a novel drive system and more